Young people are the most important gifts God entrusts to us. As an adult participant in the Canadian Shield Youth YOU BELONG Youth Retreat Event, I promise to strictly follow these policies and the following standards as a condition of my providing services to Canadian Shield Regional Youth.
I will conduct myself in a manner that exhibits the highest Christian ethical standards and avoids even the appearance of impropriety, and therefore I will:
1) Report suspected abuse of any minor to the appropriate authorities.
2) Cooperate fully in any investigation of abuse of minors.
3) Develop and maintain the level of skill required to be competent.
4) Be knowledgeable of and adhere to all applicable aspects of the Code of Ethics for Youth Ministry in the United Church of Canada
5) Be knowledgeable of and adhere to all aspects of the United Church of Canada’s Sexual Abuse Prevention and Response Policy
6) Treat everyone with respect, loyalty, patience, integrity, courtesy, dignity, and consideration.
7) Honour the equality of all people, avoiding all forms of discrimination and respecting the dignity of each person without regard to economic status, age, gender, race, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, or physical or mental abilities.
8) Use positive reinforcement and communication rather than criticism, unhealthy competition, or comparison.
9) Become thoroughly familiar with the objectives and guidelines of the program in which I am participating and strive to achieve these objectives and communicate them appropriately.
10) Be aware of and adhere to emergency plans and evacuation routes appropriate to the program in which I am participating.
11) Be responsible and/or accountable for stewardship of all resources entrusted to my care.
12) Uphold the authority of those responsible for the program or activity in which I am participating and assist them in every way to encourage learning and to conduct fair and impartial events.
13) Avoid situations where I am alone with minors, always following the two adult rule.
14) Avoid any form of excessive familiarity, inappropriate language, or any situation and conduct that exploits or could give the appearance of exploiting another.
15) Follow practices that consistently exhibit no tolerance for any form of abusive behaviour.
16) Follow practices that demonstrate appropriate relationships between all Canadian Shield Regional adult participants and minors that are important for a child’s development and a positive part of ministry.
I will not:
1) Use physical affection to initiate inappropriate contact with minors.
2) Touch a minor in a sexual or other inappropriate manner.
3) Smoke or use tobacco or cannabis products in the presence of minors.
4) Purchase tobacco or cannabis products for or distribute such products to minors.
5) Use, possess, or be under the influence of alcohol or cannabis while supervising minors or while participating in a Canadian Shield Regional Youth event.
6) Purchase alcohol or cannabis for or distribute alcohol/cannabis to anyone under the age of 19 years.
7) Use, purchase, possess, distribute, or be under the influence of illegal drugs at any time.
8) Purchase, download, possess, or distribute pornography.
9) Pose any known health risk to minors (i.e., no fevers or other contagious situations).
10) Humiliate, ridicule, threaten, demean, nor degrade minors or others nor tolerate such behaviour in the environment for which I am responsible.
11) Use physical discipline in any way for behaviour management of minors. No form of physical discipline is acceptable. This includes but is not limited to spanking, slapping, pinching, shaking, hitting or any other physical force as retaliation or correction for inappropriate behaviour of a minor.
12) Use profanity in any form in the presence of minors.