Recording of the CSRC Regional Rep Event – May 5, 2022
Click here to watch the recording of the Regional Rep Event on May 5, 2022.
To register your CSRC Regional Reps with the Region, scroll to the bottom of the screen.
Regional Elected Lay Representatives
Every year, communities of faith elect members of their church community to be Canadian Shield Regional Council Elected Lay Representatives. Regional elected lay reps are called to the ministry of participating in the decision making council in which your community of faith resides and are given a responsibility to consider and discern decisions about ministry, mission and priorities for service and stewardship.
The number of elected lay reps a community of faith elects depends on the number of resident membership. You will find this number on your stats form – it is column 16-17. According to section C.1.2. in The Manual (2019), lay members of the regional council are members of The United Church of Canada who are not ministry personnel and who are:
a) elected by communities of faith on the following basis:
i) one representative from each community of faith with 100 or fewer members;
ii) two representatives from each community of faith with 101 to 200 members;
iii) three representatives from each community of faith with 201 to 300 members;
iv) four representatives from each community of faith with more than 300 resident members.
b) additional lay members as determined by the regional council if necessary to respect a balance of ministry personnel and lay members who are not ministry personnel in the membership of the regional council.
What are the responsibilities of Elected Lay Reps to the Regional Council?
Elected Lay Representatives have the following responsibilities to their community of faith:
- You are the primary communication hub between the Regional Council and your community of faith.
- Share emails you receive about the work of Regional Council widely in your congregation.
- Share written reports about Regional Council work with the governing body of your community of faith on a regular basis, even if you are not a members of the governing body.
- Write an annual report for the Annual Report of your community of faith.
- Help people in your community of faith know who they should talk to in the regional council about their questions/concerns/need for information.
Read the full Elected Lay Representative Job Description.
Keep us up to date. Please fill out the form below with your elected lay reps contact information: