The Affirming Resource Team’s work is to guide the Regional Council through the required Affirm United process to be recognized as an Affirming Ministry and to hold the Regional Council to the commitments made in that process.
The team consists of a Team Lead and eight to ten members to be elected by the Regional Council, with intentional recruitment of representation from the LGBTQ2S+ community.
The 2019-2020 Affirming Resource Team Members are as follows:
- Peter Haddow (Team Lead)
- Dawn Vaneyk
- Gailand MacQueen
- Nancy Ferguson
- Stephen Bell
- Marilyn Schatzler
- Marlice MacLeod
- Will Kunder (Staff Resource)
Affirming Ministries in The Canadian Shield Regional Council:
- Emmanuel UC – Sault Ste. Marie
- St. Andrew’s UC – North Bay
- St. John’s UC – Marathon
- St. Paul’s UC – Thunder Bay
- St. Peter’s UC – Sudbury
- Westminster UC – Thunder Bay
The Affirming Ministry Resource Team, in preparation for the upcoming 2020 Regional Council Meeting in Sudbury, met with Linda Hutchinson from Affirm United. As we work towards Affirming Ministry designation for our region, we encourage individual members to consider the following questions that are also being asked of our various governing entities:
- As the Canadian Shield Regional Council works toward our Affirming Ministry designation, how is your area of the region’s governance structure living out our affirming commitment within its responsibility and function?
- What might we be doing to demonstrate our commitment to the affirming process in the year ahead?
Thank you for taking the time to reflect on these questions and filling out the form below.